And What We Wear Is Vintage Clothes...

...or vintage inspired.

When planning our wedding - we decided to keep it small, low in cost and with hints of Rockabilly / Vintage flair. Honestly, we kept it so minimal, that the only things that had the "themed" flair were our invitations, the bridesmaids dresses and my dress. We have nothing against big weddings, but we figured the money that would go to a large wedding could go towards other things that are important to us. We paid down a lot debt...that worked for us and in hindsight, still happy with our small wedding decision. Although, I'll admit, very hard to tell some family members they weren't invited...or that they couldn't bring a guest if they were.

When it came time to start the hunt for Bridesmaid dresses - my aunt suggested Unique Vintage. I knew they had a store in Burbank - but never had a reason to make that drive....this was the perfect opportunity!

Our wedding colors were red and black. But to me, as the bride, if I am going to ask my special ladies to spend money on a bridesmaids dress, it should be one that could be worn over and over again. I know other people aren't afraid of color like I am - but figured a LBD wouldn't hurt to be hanging beautifully in their closets.

I've only been a bridesmaid once - so I don't really know the whole process of dress selection. I've heard horror stories and somehow, somewhere along the line, those stories must be true because we've all seen the parodies in films! Three of my four bridesmaids were family members and all local to the Greater Los Angeles area. We picked a date and made the drive. There was something in the air....spring, love, cosmos working their magic...who knows, maybe it was full moon and the stars aligned - but we walked in and each gal headed a direction and not 15 minutes later - the dress was found! Thankfully - and luckily all sizes were in stock and the 1950's style Brenda Swing Dress looked fabulous on everyone!



The Brenda Swing dress flattered each body type with its cinched waist and the dramatically flared swing skirt which falls just above the ankle. This dress creates an hourglass shape that makes you feel confident - especially at an event such as a wedding. The neck line is highlighted with slightly scalloped edges to give a little black dress a little bit of flair, which dips slightly into a V-shape in the front as well as in the back to show just a slight peek of skin. It is made of 97% cotton and 3% spandex which made the dress comfortable to wear in Las Vegas weather in May. The Brenda dress also comes in red, ivory and emerald. 

We were in and out in 45 minutes because 1. the dress called out and we answered, 2. the staff was attentive, accommodating and extremely helpful! We even purchased the 4th bridesmaids dress and got a discount - woo hoo! While these lovely ladies were changing out of the dresses, our sales associate, Ana, asked if I had found my dress. I hadn't and she suggested I check out their selection. As any bride on a budget would do, I causally glimpsed at the price tags and made the "not bad" face as I cringed on the inside. It's silly really - you wear the dress once and it costs so much!!! Ana did mention that there was a sale going on. Aside from the word free - those are the best four letters of the alphabet put next to each other! I had the choice of trying on dresses right then and there, but I had to turn down the offer as I felt it was an experience that I should do with my mother. Luckily I was in-store when another bride-to-be cancelled her appointment for the following day...yes! Snagged that puppy up!




Not only did we end up with the loveliest of dresses for my bridesmaids - but an appointment for me to find the perfect dress.

Details in the next blog post. 
xoxo

Essentially,

Evie

Comments

Popular Posts