Going To The Chapel



How lucky was I to score a last minute appointment to try on wedding dresses at Unique Vintage??!! I show up and come to find out - it was a sample sale too! Pfft, I'm already sold!!

As this was only my second time at the store, the moment I stepped back in (sans bridesmaids) I wanted one of everything. The store is laid out very well. We were greeted right away but were not hounded by the sales associates. I had to be pulled back to reality that my mother and I were there for reason...to find a WEDDING DRESS!! Ana (the lovely Assistant Manager who aided in the selection / sale of my bridesmaids dresses) remembered me right away.

Ana showed us the sample sale dresses. She asked me what I was looking for and style of dress I might like. My thighs are the feature that I try hardest to mask with my clothing, so I told her no mermaid dresses...absolutely not! She started to pull dresses down for me with the styles I had in mind and put me in a dressing room. I fell in love with nearly all of them, she knew exactly what I wanted.

As she was showing me the next dress I would be trying on...I pointed out that the dress was a mermaid dress and I didn't really want to try it on....but I thought, what the heck, doesn't hurt to try. Much like food - you don't know you don't like it until you try it! (om nom nom nom) BOOYA! Ana picked the most fantastic dress ever. It fit like a glove, hugged in all the right places and made me feel beautiful and feminine. I was so surprised that I left purchasing a mermaid dress.

Although I wasn't looking for a white dress, I purchased mine in Diamond White. It is a slim fitted strapless gown which highlights the neckline with a "criss cross" sweetheart bust line.


Almost time...veil is still up - but that bust line!! 


I'm 4'11" - had to do the big shoes! 

The detail in the satin taffeta ruching that flows asymmetrically throughout the entire gown was just delicious. I was also against any ruching....why, why, why was I so against it? What a fabulous way to hide my junk food habit!! (PSA - even though I did go to a personal trainer and lost weight and toned up, I was still determined that I wouldn't conform to the dress, the dress would conform to ME!)

There is a soft, "caught-up" skirt that features a swirl effect just below the dropped waist that sweeps down toward the train.


The Ruching!!! Photos by SDAnnPhoto 
Then there is the back...oh the back is just elegant. The back dips down just below the shoulder blades into a slight "V" shape. I thought this was the perfect dip in the back - even if there is a bit of noticeable chub, but all is forgiven when you see the detail on the row of satin-lined buttons that lay over the hidden zipper.

That train <3 
Hidden Zipper - Yes! ;)
This dress, although lovely in its simplicity - my mom and I decided it needed a little bit of pop and pizzazz. Being all of 4' 11", in most instances with any garments I purchase, I needed to get the hem line altered. With the scraps from the alterations, my mom fashioned a belt that seamlessly attached with adornments from an awesome shop in Downtown Los Angeles.



The dress does not come with bustle options, but while the hem line was getting a makeover, we had them add a French bustle to the underside of the gown....which in the end didn't work out all that great. There were many attempts to create the bustle, but alas the train was hung from a satin covered button.



Yeah....having issues with the bustle. Not pictured: me down to my bridal undergarments as they tried to create the French bustle while the dress hung on a hanger.

Even after bathroom shenanigans, the bustle still wouldn't stick! 

How many people does it take to get the bustle up??!! I was happy, drink in hand :) 



This was the only photo I could find that you can kind of see my train hanging from a button. 

Overall, the comfort and fit were on point! Well....as far as comfort can go with on a wedding gown. They are a tad bit on the heavy side. However, it could be much worse - we had an outdoor wedding in Las Vegas and I only sweat a smidge :)

Even in this blurry photo - you can see how beautiful the dress frames the body <3 

THANK YOU UNIQUE VINTAGE!! Ana was very attentive, patient and suggestive. She shared with me that she's also getting married and she also chose a mermaid dress as well. I hope her wedding was wonderful and fabulous in every way - as she totally made mine!

I have been back to Unique Vintage (online and in store) to shop for other pieces to add to my non bridal collection. I just love the customer service and variety they have to choose from.


I leave you with this - my "wanna dance battle?" face lol





Essentially,

Evie xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts