DIY - Simple Brooches

So...if you follow my blog, you'll know that I've recently become enamored with brooches. I want more, more, MORE!

A couple years back, my mom introduced me to this store - Hobby Lobby - seriously, it's like a crafters crack house. You should not go unless you have time to kill and money to spare! Luckily, over time, I've learned to control myself...and if you know me, that's not an easy feat!

I don't remember why I randomly strolled down the "jewelry" aisle - but I came across a few necklace charms that I thought were cute and wanted to turn into brooches. Plus I'd get to add more to my awesome brooch display.

Purchased from Glam Factory in Downtown Las Vegas
As I perused the aisle - this cute little polka dot anchor caught my eye. I mean really....two of my favorite things in one, how could I resist?? Not to mention it was only $2.99 - totally a no brainer for me. 


Well...isn't that just cute? So...now what? I guess, I'd need supplies, right? I ended up with the following:




I tried to look for charms that didn't look like they once were necklace charms...what fun is that? Transforming the anchor was a cinch. I took the pliers and cut off the ring that would dangle from the chain of a necklace. 


Next, I took the pin backing and made sure I had enough space and eyed where I wanted to place it. Twas a perfect fit :)


Took the E6000 bonding glue (which comes with three handy dandy precision tips!) and applied a wee bit to the flat surface of the pin back. (Don't mind my nails...I have an appointment coming up, I swear!)



As the directions stated, I waited the two minutes to mate the surfaces and then used the pliers to place the pin back to the back of the anchor.



I left them to bond over night. When I went to check on it the next day, the backing fell off. Ugh, just my luck!!! Don't know how I did it wrong, but of course I did. I put the project away for a couple days. Then randomly and idea popped into my head...as most ideas do. I did other DIY projects and used nail glue - because at the time I lived in LA and didn't want to sit in traffic to go a few miles to get craft glue. You know what....nail glue is amaze-balls! So last night, I went to the store and picked up some cheap nail glue...it was under $2.00.


This puppy worked like a charm and damn near instantly!


I love, love LOVE my anchor brooch....it's just too cute! I tried to wash / rinse / repeat this process with this necklace charm:



But because of the rounded surface, I'm going to need to find an alternate route as far as backings go...any ideas? 

I'm super happy the anchor worked out, it's just the bee's knees :) Can't wait to wear it. Hope you try to make one yourself! If you do, tell me how it goes!

Do you do DIY projects? I would love to hear from you! As always, thanks for reading <3

Essentially,

Evie

Comments

Popular Posts