Weekend Wrap Up - MLK Edition

Last minute trip to Cali!! I go once a month to visit family, but I ended up taking advantage of the long weekend and decided with just a few days notice. Spent time with family - even got to meet my cousin's little dude....seven months, so cute!!

Back in 2007 a couple girlfriends and I decided to make Martin Luther King Day into bonding time. It's been modified over the years and now it's just me and my friend Jen. I think we've missed only one or two years of spending MLK Day together. It looked like this year was going to be a missed year. I live in Vegas, she lives in San Diego. I contacted her....soooooo last minute and she was up for meeting in me in Orange County....YAY!! I planned to be headed back home on Monday, so we decided Sunday was a good day to meet up.

I've always had a love for the Orange County Marketplace. It's held on the weekends at the Orange County Fair Grounds. I've been going since I was a kid. I always remembered it as a whole day type of adventure because the vendors are wall to wall! There is even a section that is a Farmer's Market. I used to LOVE getting pizza bagels as a kid. Now, as a grown up, I still love this place. You can grab a beer, some wine or even a margarita and shop openly without having to stay in a "beer garden" to finish your drink. Have kids? There is a play area! Have a hubby that doesn't feel like shopping, there is a cigar vendor where all kinds of chairs are set up for your hubby to relax while you shop!

We decided we'd meet at the OC Marketplace. Jen would bring her mom and I would bring mine for a double mother-daughter date. My mom and I got there first and I was so sad and semi-disappointed. It has shrunk significantly! Talking to some of the vendors, looks like the OC Marketplace will be changing ownership. As of right now, they are in a lull. Below is a picture I took. All that emptiness is at least four or five rows of what used to be vendors.


The OC Marketplace still has some awesome vendors. Hopefully the new owners will promote it and it will thrive again! Of course there aren't a lot of photos here....too busy shopping! And you know what shopping leads to?? Hunger!! It was lunch time. Thanks to a friend of mine that lives in Orange County, she was able to give a helping hand on where to go. We went to the city of Orange to a place called Orange Circle where the world is your oyster! So many shops and places to eat!!! We had one place in mind....but it ended up being closed!




Hopefully this place is open the next time I'm in Cali....doesn't it look awesome!?

Orange Circle has some awesome architecture!! The buildings are detailed and just beautiful!



I loved the idea of a Hair & Nail mall?! What an awesome idea!! I guess it would be a super competitive mall, but consumers wouldn't have to go far!




I am IN LOVE with this area! Seriously, how awesome is the above display of hairstyles through the years??!

We ended up eating lunch at the first place we saw called Two's Company. We saw the word "panini" and we were sold! P.S. - there are tons of food places in this area, but we failed to explore.




Two's Company is a sandwich and panini restaurant. They also serve salads, pasta and gelato. Mmmmm....gelato. Not to mention, they serve their drinks in the old school Coca-Cola glasses. Pure joy!


Sadly, Jen and her mom had to leave after lunch and they weren't able to explore this cute little area further. BUT - some time is better than no time with Jen. I miss her!!! So happy that my last minute visit included her!

Totally love the sunnies I picked up at the OC Marketplace!!
After Jen and her mom left, my mom and I started to explore the area. We barely put a dent in it!! We walked around for a while and decided dessert was necessary, so we stopped at a place called A La Minute.


Talk about an interesting menu - this is just part of it.
Loved the decor!!

Making MAGIC!!
Gaze upon.....SALTED CARAMEL!! Om nom nom nom nom :)
From there we went antiquing. So much to see, so little time. I didn't end up getting anything because I feared once I started, I wouldn't stop!! I know I need to go back for some great vintage lucite purses!




If you live in or are in the So Cal area...I suggest getting lost in Orange Circle....it's AMAZING!! 
For a last minute trip, it turned out to be a wonderful weekend!!

This blog was written while sipping:
Sparkletts water - still at work.
Womp Womp :)
Cheers!

Essentially, 

Evie xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts